Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Born to Lose, Dying to Win


The annual music issue of the Oxford American is a pretty reliably good read, and the accompanying mix CD is usually equally excellent. I’ve gotten turned on to a few groups that ended up becoming favorite obsessions – My Morning Jacket and Esther Phillips in particular - as a result of their inclusion in the OA music issue. This year’s no different. Among the great tracks included this year are Big Star’s "Stroke It Noel," We the People’s "She Does Everything for Me," The NuGrape Twins’ "I Got Your Ice Cold NuGrape," and Townes Van Zandt’s "Nothin’" – and the essay on the NuGrape Twins is well worth sinking into. I was already familiar with all those. As a result of this mix I'll have to reconsider Drivin' 'n' Cryin' too (an entertaining essay addresses the question of apostrophe abuse in band names). I may even have to go ahead and track down some records by Bob Dorough, the guy behind School House Rock. But what came as a real revelation was this track by Gary Stewart. I guess this was Stewart’s hit. And it’s pretty catchy, with that winning country mix of self-pity and self-destruction. If you didn't already, this'll make you want to drink some cheap whiskey.

"Single Again" - Gary Stewart

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like this one, you should also check out Gary's 'She's acting single, I'm drinking doubles'...
There's a pretty good 'best of' collection out there.

BD said...

My daddy used to play 8-track Stewart in his little red Datsun truck on our way to cut wood about the time I was getting pubes. I remember always thinking Gary might probably be mentally challenged because of the exaggerated warbles in his voice--"She's Acting Single..." is disturbing shit.