Sunday, May 18, 2008

Not a Puritan

     I love the fact that this guy shares his name with the celebrated theologian.  Do they have anything in common?  Let's see.  Jonathan Edwards the preacher/theologian was born in Connecticut;  Jonathan Edwards the singer/songwriter was born in Minnesota.  Jonathan Edwards the preacher/theologian formulated a metaphysical system that was designed to challenge Aristotelianism; Jonathan Edwards the singer/songwriter formulated a country/folk/rock sound that was popular in the early '70s.  Hmm, I guess not.
      This is yet another disc culled from the motherlode (so to speak) I wrote about in a previous post (here it is, if'n you hain't read it yet).   I seem to remember hearing this song a long time ago, when I was a kid, but I never knew who sang it until I found this record.  It has a nice 'n cozy sort of homespun feel to it, and yes, there are times when you just kinda feel like you'd like to do what he's singing about.  It doesn't seek to challenge Aristotelianism or anything, but it's still a worthwhile pursuit, in my book.  (I like how he says "put" instead of "get" a good buzz on.  We could quibble over the semantics for hours).  The harmonica part may be annoying to some, but all in all it's an enjoyable little ditty.
     Jonathan Edwards the preacher/theologian died from complications following a smallpox inoculation.  Jonathan Edwards the singer/songwriter is still alive & performing, as far as I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great album. I'd forgotten all about it. Train of glory is also a brilliant performance. Thanks for reminding me.