Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sweet Jesus


Help me get in touch with the man who can make me dream again. You know who she is talking about. Silver and shining. It seemed only a matter of time here before the son of God dropped by the Driftwoods. This beauty, was recorded in 1975 on Joan Armatrading’s phenomenal Back to the Night album.

Born in the West Indies but raised in gritty Birmingham, England, Armatrading works the opposites. She’s been backed by Little Feat, Fairport Convention, XTC and the E Street Band. Roars met by whispers as in No Love For Free, the story of the prostitute who doesn’t want to be saved. Every passing hello how are you, you want to know his name. But just because you were there when I needed a shoulder you think I’ll take your name? I love for money. Armatrading has plenty of bigger, brassier numbers, some even reggae inflected but I am a sucker for the sad, slow ones where she wears her soul on her sleeve.

No comments: