Thursday, November 01, 2007

We Are Not Two



It’s typical of me and my delusional/pathological look-on-the-bright-side-ism, my self-loathing-fueled blame-the-victim philosophy. Now I’m thanking the guy who smashed my car window for all he’s shown me. After having my car broken into and my CD player (among other things) swiped last week, I’ve been listening to a lot of radio (or, as often, turning off the stereo and driving in silence). Well, this morning I decided to rummage through the trunk and dig out some old cassettes (for real). As a result, I found some dusty mix tapes, and I found myself listening to tunes I hadn’t heard in years, thinking "I’m glad all my shit got stolen." There’s a handful of old gems that I’ll have to foist on you all. I’ll start with this one. I’ve already multi-dipped on the Kinks here, but I can’t get enough of the strange brother-on-brother antagonism/inspiration. "Strangers" is one by Dave Davies. He probably got all the girls, but he certainly wasn’t the better songwriter. I love his vaguely congested singing voice. I’ve even read his autobiography, Kink, which generally just makes you feel like if you were Ray you’d find Dave a little annoying, too. There’re some wonderfully inarticulate bits about spirituality and UFOs. Rock and roll. This song never really goes anywhere, but where it stays is a nice enough place, and I love the impressively simple-minded drumming.

No comments: