Friday, December 21, 2007

'Tis the Season for Sharin' Karen (& Willie & Freddy...)

     One of my favorite sub-genres of record-collecting is Christmas albums, much to the bemusement of my reason for living.  It's a little bemusing to me as well--I bought one, then another, and before I knew it I had a "collection" of them.  I use quotation marks because it really isn't much of one, less than ten (but growing!)  I'm not even that into Christmas, either.  I guess there's just something about the combination of vinyl and Jesus' birthday.  Once in a while something magical happens!  Something like...
Of course, I had to include something from the Carpenters' Christmas album.  I listened to it for the first time the other day, and I discovered a tune that was suitably morose and over-orchestrated, and a little disturbing--just the kind of thing you'd want on a Christmas album (at least one that the Carpenters were doing).   It left me chuckling and shaking my head in wonder, once again.

No comments: