Sunday, May 20, 2007

Embarrassment of Riches


I always had a soft spot in my heart for Charlie Rich after I learned about his infamous envelope-burning incident, when in a fog of booze and indignation he torched the envelope announcing John Denver’s win for Entertainer of the Year at the 1975 Country Music Awards. Rich was a silver fox, a late convert to countrypolitanism, and a maker of mega hits like “Most Beautiful Girl” and “Behind Closed Doors,” but before that he had a different thing going. Something moved me the other day when I was at Mystery Train in Amherst. They had this in the cheap-o stacks, and it seemed promising. Plus I’d heard a good, weird rock-n’honky-tonk jam of Charlie Rich’s on the Dylan radio show. I think this was originally recorded while Rich was on Sun Records in the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, and you can hear the Elvis-isms, but with a darker, heavier edge.

“I’ve Lost My Heart to You” - Charlie Rich

No comments: