Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Graham Gouldman, Professional Songwriter


I still remember being 16 years old and buying my Rhino compilation of The Yardbirds. I love this record, especially the songs written by hired gun songwriter Graham Gouldman: Heart Full Of Soul and the controversial For Your Love. Legend has it the latter was too much of a sellout pop song for bandmember Eric Clapton, who left the band in part because of this tune. But for me it's just another great hook-tastic song by Gouldman. Plus it has harpsichord. I've never heard a bad pop song featuring harpsichord. But that's another post.

Graham was also hired to write some tunes for the Hollies, like Bus Stop. Another beautiful piece of mid-60's pop. I've loved this song since I was 10 years old and I first heard it on oldies radio.

Gouldman went on to write more songs and became part of 10cc and then a solo artist. I can't say I've followed his career much after the Sixties. These 3 songs are still enough for me. Of course there are more GG gems from this era, like Evil Hearted You and Look Through Any Window, but this will do for now.

1 comment:

Mr. Poncho said...

further proof of just how much of a pud Eric Clapton is.